I didn’t know Richard Scarry was a person. I was a huge fan of The Busy World of Richard Scarry. I always thought that was a weird title for a tv show. It was educational and entertaining at the same time. I loved it when they focused on a family in another country, like Italy. The animation was very detailed as well, something I believe is missing from digital animations.
I seem to have forgotten than Richard Scarry wrote and illustrated Best Word Book Ever. That’s the actual name. I have the original copy! With stereotypes and missing pages from the new editions!
But yes I used to flick through the book all the time. Sometimes even copying a picture of the flowers.
I learnt . . .
- Different types of flowers
- How to mix colours
- Different types of toys and games from the 60s.
- That playing dentist looks like fun
- That grocery shopping in cartoon form looks more fun than real life grocery shopping
- Everything is more innocent and fun if everybody was an animal.
I want to be an illustrator so bad.
When I was flicking through the pages, I wanted to cry because I felt like I was seven. It’s really peaceful to just stare at hundreds of images on a page.
As requested by Sisela: