When I reflect back on my childhood, I picture bike rides, sword (plastic sticks) fighting, scary stories, Sweet Valley, and Nintendo. My family owned the Nintendo Entertainment System and an ATARI, but I preferred playing the ATARI games because they were simple. I still love those games. My brother chose the Sega Genesis over the Super Nintendo later on, which didn’t appeal to me either.
My next door neighbours bought a Nintendo 64 a few years later and it was as if it was mine as well. I was there everyday to play the next stages of Donkey Kong 64. It was nothing like what I have ever played before. It was a 3D adventure; no more 2D side-scrolling!
I was there everyday after that for any new games that they may have rented. We helped each other beat the bosses, battled against each other in multi-player modes and party games. My friends’/neighbours’ parents grew sick of my face!
Here are my top favourite games on the Nintendo 64
- Donkey Kong 64 – Every time you find a banana there’s the epic signature drumming by Donkey Kong.
- Super Smash Brothers – Introduced me to a character by the name of Link, who was my go-to character. My second go-to character was Pikechu.
- Banjo & Kazooie – RARE needs to leave Microsoft and make games for Nintendo again.
- Pokemon Stadium – The Kids Club – Where you play mini-party games. They were a hoot!
- Bomberman 64
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Mario Party – Rather low on the list. I guess since I can still play Mario Party there’s less nostalgia for this one.
Games I wished I played:
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Star Fox 64
Games that sucked:
- South Park – Pottie mouth kid that won’t stop talking. The horrible turkeys. Annoying, annoying, annoying!
- Conker’s Bad Fur Day – Forgettable
Game I can’t remember:
It was a party game or could have been mini-games of an adventure one. I remember one of them was that four players were separated in two teams and had to kick as many soccer balls as you can pass the other team’s goalie. There was also one where it was like bumper cars.
Nintendo 64 is my favourite console of all time even though I don’t own one and never did. I had a blast playing the games mainly because there was always a group of friends to play with. There were some bad memories here are there, such as fighting over the controller, but majority of it were fantastic, regardless of it destroying the other parts of my life; reading, playing outside, spending time with my family, not getting any homework done, falling behind at school, etc.
I don’t know why but I have never been a fan of Mario. I dislike Luigi even more. If I had to play any character from the original Mario Cart, I always chose Peach.
I can’t wait to purchase the Wii U and continue my Nintendo adventure.
Let me know which were your favourite games to play on the Nintendo 64.
I would totally act like that if someone gifted it to me now.